Saturday, April 16, 2011

In the News

While browsing the headlines I found the the headline pasted below and just had to click on it.  As a former fast food junkie I sometimes think about that food but not because I crave it.  I think about how much of it I used to eat.  It's embarrassing to admit just how much fast food I ate.  I ate it often and I ate huge quantities when I went.  It's no wonder I was a mess. 
"Wendy's Natural Cut Fries: Better Tasting, Yes. Natural, No"
Wendy's introduced the "natural cut fries" shortly after I had started Paleo and during a conversation amongst coworkers about the fries, I remember thinking I'll never know what those taste like.  In the past I would have hit the drive thru at the first opportunity I had in order to do my own taste test.  Today I'm content not know what they taste like.


There was a rather interesting paragraph in the article that I think sums up the state of nutrition in this county.

To make food cheap they eliminate quality.  In order for it to look good they add chemicals to offset the effects of shelf life.  And to think, I put all of that in my body.  Yuck! 
That, says CMO Ken Calwell, would be too difficult given fast food customers' demands for items that are cheap and can be hoisted through a car window.  People are saying they want high integrity ingredients, things their grandmother would have used, that don't look like they came out of a chemistry lab," Calwell explained in an interview with BNET. "But they're also saying I've got a family to feed and can only afford to spend about $4 on my lunch, and I've only got about a minute or two to eat it."

The link is below is to the article in case you want to read it.  It's short and won't take much time and they even tell what they spray on the fries to keep them looking good and what they dump in the oil  so it's able to withstand repeated fryings.  You may not want another fry after this.
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112557/wendys-natural-cut-fries-bnet