Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cooking in Bulk

Well, it's my weekend to work again.  That's means I need to cook all my meals in advance so that I am prepared and ready for my busy week.  This week I also prepared a couple dishes for my Mom so she has paleo meals for the next few days.  She wanted me to prepare the Saudi chicken dish that I found over at PaleoMiddleEastern the other day.  I also prepared an old family favorite, hamburger stew, which is very paleo friendly.  I usually try to make a meal when I visit my parents just so I can dazzle them with my culinary brilliance show them how tasty and easy paleo cooking can be.  Tonight I chose to prepare a dish from Mod Mex: Cooking Vibrant Fiesta Flavors at Home by Scott Linquist.  I have quite a few Mexican cookbooks but they are all traditional cooking.  Mod Mex is the only modern Mexican cookbook that I own. 
I was raised on Mexican food and in the first few weeks of my Paleo life I had the most doubt about my new lifestyle whenever I thought of Mexican food.  Let's face it, a taco isn't a taco without the shell.  I've been hesitant to try any Mexican style cooking because it's just not going to be the same without tortillas, rice and beans.  I did make a cauliflower dish a few weeks back that was a riff on Mexican rice.  It turned out really well so I made it for my Mom.  She was really pleased with it and said it satisfied the urge she was having for those flavors.  So, I browsed through some of my cookbooks and thought I'd try a few things from Mod Mex.  Mainly because they aren't the traditional dishes that I grew up with and I thought that maybe I could work my way towards trying more Mexican flavored dishes in the future.



Pepita Encrusted Salmon

2 C. of pumpkin seeds, raw
2 T. olive oil
s & p to taste
Salmon fillets, skinless
2 eggs, lightly beaten

1.  Toss the seeds in the oil and season to taste with the salt and pepper. 
2.  Toast in a skillet until they are lightly brown and starting to become crisp.  Remove from heat and let cool.
3.  Once the seeds have cooled slightly add them to a food processor and pulse until they are coarsely ground.
4.  Dip the fillets in the egg wash and then dredge in the ground pepitas.
5.  Cook in a hot skillet until fish is done.

* I was suppose to serve this over chili verde but I forgot to make it.

I served this with mashed rutabaga that had a few cubes of butternut squash in it and some collard greens with bacon bits and tequila soaked golden raisins.