Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Grill Time!

It's not often that my Sister and I have the same day off.  When we do we usually plan to hang out and generally plan dinner for the night.  Since the weather has been warming up, I knew I wanted to get my little Lodge Sportsman grill out and throw some stuff on.  So tonight we decided on ribs and we picked up a wide assortment of veggies at the grocery store.  I didn't take a pic of my plate but my sister broke out her iPhone and snapped a shot.
We put 2 slabs of babybacks on the grill and used two different homemade dry rubs.  They were both awesome!  The first was a Memphis style rub and the other is a seasoning rub that Emeril makes called Bayou Blast.  It was a toss up but I think I preferred the Bayou Blast.  We served it with roasted brussel sprouts, Mediterranean green beans and a warm salad comprised of zucchini & yellow squash, red onions, asparagus and a medley of olives in a oil/wine brine.  It was a wonderful meal.

Memphis Rub
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne

Bayou Blast
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

Mediterranean Green Beans
  • 1 lb. green beans, top and cut in half
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
  • juice from 1/2 a lemon
1.  Saute the onion in olive oil until soft.
2.  Add the garlic and cook until it's aromatic.
3.  After rinsing the green beans add them to the skillet while the water still clings to them.  Cook until they are all bright green.
4.  Add the tomatoes and a little water if necessary.  Cover and simmer until they are cooked through.
5.  Add the lemon juice and toss.

*I've never really timed it but I think it takes about 30-35 minutes for the green beans to cook.  Make sure they don't dry out. 

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

My favorite way to have them!  Just cut the ends off and remove outer leaves.  Cut them half and toss in a bowl with olive oil and pepper.  Put them in a baking dish and pop in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes, tossing midway through the cook time.

Squash Asparagus and Onion Salad

For the warm salad we just cut the squashes into spears, the onion into thick slices and the asparagus into thirds.  We cooked them all in a grill pan then tossed with the olives and their brine.