Saturday, August 20, 2011

Roast Chicken

I love a roasted bird.  This is another one of those simple "back burner" sort of dishes.  I can just pop a bird in the oven and let it go while I work away on some other recipes that I'm testing out and require a little more attention.  Roast chickens are quite simple to make.  I change up my seasonings every time I make one because you really can't go wrong.  Then you just pop it in a 350 degree oven (breast side up) and roast it for about 2 hours.  Basically it's 20-25 minutes for every pound of chicken.  My bird was a little over 4 pounds.  The only thing you have to do is peek in the oven during the last half hour and if the bird looks like it's browning to much just cover it with a little foil to keep it from burning.  I'm not putting a recipe down because roast chickens are so simple.  Just season with whatever you have and roast for the time listed above.  I always rub a little olive oil or better yet bacon grease on the bird before putting it in the oven.  For the bird in the picture I mix all my spices into my solidified bacon grease and made a paste.  I pushed some of this up under the skin as well. Super simple and quite tasty!!