1 pound stew beef
1 1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small bottle red wine (187mL)
2 bay leaves
1C mushrooms, chopped
5 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
3-4 strips bacon, chopped
1. Add some fat of choice to a dutch oven and heat. Add the beef and sear on all sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the dutch oven and saute until they just begin to soften.
3. Add the meat back to the dutch oven. Add the wine, broth and herbs. Simmer, covered for about 45 minutes.
4. Add the carrots and mushrooms. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
5. While the carrots are cooking, add the bacon to a skillet and cook until crispy.
6. When the carrots are soft, turn off the heat and add the bacon. Stir to incorporate. Serve!