Saturday, June 11, 2011

Curried Carrots

The best part about eating paleo are all the endless spice combinations.  I've found that my palate has expanded and that I appreciate other flavors.  I used to be a salt and pepper kind of girl, I think that was the only kind of spice we ever used outside of some cumin for Mexican dishes.  I remember the first time that my family went to an ethnic restaurant.  It was my 18th birthday (I think) and my Dad declared that we were not going to Sirloin Stockade for the usual birthday dinner.  We had moved to a new area and he thought we should get cultured.  He chose this Greek restaurant and we all order something different and Pop even splurged and got some appetizers (flaming cheese!).  It was a total disaster.  We were completely out of our element.  We've not eaten at that Greek restaurant since (it's very popular in town so it wasn't the restaurant's fault) and while it's funny now it wasn't so much at the time.

But now I love how you can change an ingredient with a few spices.  Take my beloved cauliflower.  My Cilantro Lime Cauliflower is worlds apart from my Cauliflower Pilaf and they are both completely different from my Mexican Cauliflower (recipe coming soon).  I've been branching out with my spices and taking on some new flavor profiles like Indian cuisines.  The possibilities are endless and the meals are never boring.

Curried Carrots

2T Lard
1/4 to 1/2 C. shallots, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
1 pound carrots, sliced in rounds (1/4" thick)
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground fennel
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/4 t turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
1 C. coconut milk
1/2 C. chicken broth (optional)
  1. Heat lard in a large skillet.  Add the shallots and jalapeno and cook until they begin to soften.
  2. Add the carrots and all the spices.  Cook for about 3-4 minutes.
  3. Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer.  Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover.  Cook until the carrot are tender.
  4. Add the broth if you think the sauce needs to be thinned a little.