Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chicken Croquettes


Here's another recipe, this time chicken meatballs, that I found while hunting and gathering.  It was fairly paleo friendly, the original called for cheese in the mixture which I left out.  The meatballs are rolled in a ground toasted nut mixture called dukkah.   These are really tasty and would make a great appetizer for your next party.  I had a few right after they were fried and then later at work I just popped them in my mouth right out of the fridge.  They're great hot or cold.

Chicken Croquettes
1 pound of ground chicken
1 egg
1/4 C. minced herbs (recipe recommended basil or cilantro, I used a little of both)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 t. sumac
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. cayenne (I mistakenly added this but it turned out okay so I'm leaving it.)
  1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
  2. Form balls. (Wet your hands to keep the mixture from sticking to you during this process.)

For the Dukkah:
1 C. toasted almonds
1/2 C toasted sunflower seeds (Original called for pecans which I didn't have.)
1/2 C. toasted sesame seeds
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. smoked paprika (I only had enough for the meat mixture so I didn't get to add any to the dukkah.)
  1. After you have toasted the nuts and seeds, pulse finely in a food processor.
  2. Combine the nuts and seeds in a bowl and add the spices.  Mix well.
  3. Roll the chicken meatballs in the nut mixture.
  4. Heat about 2-3 cups of oil in a skillet.  When it's hot add the meatballs in batches and cook until golden, turning often.
  5. Serve with honey mustard.
Original recipe found here.