Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cilantro Lime Cauliflower

Riced cauliflower is one of my favorite side dishes.  I love to prepare it in the same way that I used to make Mexican rice.  It really showcases the flavors in Mexican rice and satisfies my craving for that dish.  The other day I went to Chipotle with my Mom and we got the salad bowl with the big dollop of guacamole....mmm, yummy.  I'll admit that I was thinking that I'd really love to have my meal wrapped in a tortilla with rice in it.  These were briefs thoughts and then I went on with being happy about being able to still eat out on occasion.  Afterwards I was thinking about my meal and it hit me...why don't I make a cilantro-lime cauliflower dish to mimic in a small way the rice that Chipotle serves.  I had to wait about a week and a half before I got try out my idea but I'm pleased to report that it was really tasty. 

Cilantro Lime Cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower, riced
juice of 1 lime
1t salt
1 small onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, diced
4-5 T of chopped cilantro
2T olive oil
  1. Rice the cauliflower in the food processor and then steam it in the microwave.  (I use the micro-steamer that Pampered Chef sells, they work great for this).  No water is needed for the steaming.  Leave the cauliflower to stand covered until you need it.  Meanwhile...
  2. Juice the lime into a small cup and add the salt.  Mix well and set aside.
  3. Chop the cilantro and set aside.
  4. Add the oil to a large skillet and then saute the onion and garlic until soft.
  5. Add the riced cauliflower to the skillet and toss well to incorporate the onion and garlic.
  6. Then add the cilantro and salted lime juice and continue to toss until they are mixed well in the cauliflower.  Take off heat and serve!