Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ups and Downs

I had to slow my C25K program down due to hip/lower back soreness.  This isn't any of the abductors in the the hip/upper leg but rather my sacral region and hips.  It's just really sore and I've been applying liniment and heat as well laying on the miracle balls.  I did some swimming on the days I was suppose to run and made sure to walk of the other days.  I was sort of down in the dumps about this little setback.  People also mention (very politely) that perhaps my choice of footwear (Invisible Shoes) might be the problem.  I am certain that they are not the issue but rather my complete lack of physical conditioning.  After aggressively treating myself with some home PT and taking the day off from any activity yesterday, I went out today not really sure what to expect.  At first I thought I would just walk, which I did for about 40 minutes.  When I got out bed this morning I didn't feel as much tightness in my hips and sacral region so I was happy with that.  After 40 minutes of walking I decided to try some running.  I started my C25K program (I've been repeating some of the runs from week 2) and I felt pretty good so I finished the run.  So far the day has went well and I haven't had any stiffness through out the day.  I'm going to apply a little heat tonight and rub a little liniment on just for good measure.  Tomorrow will be a walk day and I think I'll follow that up with a swim day on Monday.  I'll plan on a run day for Tuesday provided I feel good for the next couple of days.

On the diet front, I'm doing a little better but it tends to come in waves.  I do better when I can stay home and not so well when I'm out of town (which is often). This week  I made some chorizo and poblano pepper egg muffins that turned out really good.  I had my Paleo Comfort Foods cookbook out to show a friend and since it was on the counter I decided to make use of it.  I made the apple and apricot slow cooker pork chops and they are really, really good.  We had some chicken breasts in the fridge that needed to be used and I had a little craving for sweet and sour chicken.  After a quick search online I followed a recipe from Technically Paleo and then added a few little things like red pepper flakes.  The recipe was great and the results are super yummy.  I also made fried chicken thighs that I coated in mexican seasonings.  I have it all the time and it's really good.  I just sort of wing it with the seasonings but it's mainly cumin, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.  So as you can see, I let some other paleo chefs show me the way this week and then rounded it out with a few classics that I don't need a recipe for.

All in all it's been a good week and hopefully I'll continue to do well.