Tuesday, February 14, 2012

One Step at a Time

I started my C25K program this month.  Today marked the end of week two and I'm pleased to say that so far things are going well.  I'm trying to be smart about my exercise and am really paying attention to my body so that I don't overdo it.  The program, if you're unfamiliar, builds you up to running over a course of 9 weeks.  You workout every other day, each day's workout is a mix of walking and running with the walking tapering off and the running increasing over the course of the program.  I did take a extra day off between a couple of workouts when I felt a little more stiffness.  I also went to the pool once to do some swimming when I took an extra day off just to help limber my muscles up.  It may be something I try to work in on the days off.  I'm thinking of repeating some of the week two workouts just to take my time through the program.  My hips seem a little stiff and sore this week with the increase in running and I don't want to hurt myself again.  I was thinking of taking two days between runs and perhaps doing some swimming on the rest days to help loosen the muscles in my hips.

My diet is still suffering and I need to get that under control because I'm just spinning my wheels if I do one without the other.  Last year I had my diet going well but was a total couch potato.  Somehow I've got to get it all together and headed in the right direction.