Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Coronation Chicken

I'm always on the lookout for a recipe I can "paleofy" and have an ever growing stack of recipes to prove it.  I was browsing through the June issue of People magazine when I came across a recipe for Coronation Chicken, which was created for the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.  It's basically just a curry chicken salad.  It was a pretty simple paleo fix so I ripped the page out and brought it home.

Coronation Chicken

2 T. Honey
1 T. Curry powder
2 T. white wine
3 T. Mango Chutney
10 T. Mayo
5 T. Coconut Cream
4 cold, cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 T. dried mango, diced
1/3 C. raw cashews, lightly toasted
1 ripe peach, sliced
  1. In a small saucepan, cook the honey and curry powder for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
  2. Add wine and chutney, continue cooking for 2 mintues. Pour into a bowl and let cool.
  3. When the curry mixture is cool add the mayo and coconut cream.  Stir to mix well.
  4. Put the chicken in a large bowl and add the curry cream sauce.  Fold together.
  5. Top with the mango, cashews, and peach.

* Notes:
  • I plan on making my own chutney the next time.  I searched for some recipes and it seems pretty easy but for this batch I bought a small jar of locally produced organic chutney.
  • I accidentally flipped the amount of mayo and the amount of coconut cream (putting in 10 T of cream and 3 T of mayo).  I really like the coconut flavor that the excess cream allowed.  I might just leave that little mistake.