Thursday, September 22, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I started Whole 30 about five days ago.  When you decide you're going to do something you don't put off the start date, you just dive right in.  At least that's what I do.  See, my sister is having a cookie contest in four days.  I would have been right in there tasting and judging the cookies all the while telling myself that I would get back to paleo tomorrow.  Well, I started Whole 30 and didn't think about that cookie contest until yesterday when I told my sister that I wouldn't be tasting the cookies.  I'm still gonna bake and enter the winning gluten-laden cookie but I won't be tasting the other entries.  My sis told me she would make me paleo cookie so I would have something to eat that night...awww.  So I was thinking about that and combined with the little sweet tooth I'm having today I made some almond meal cookies.  I probably am not suppose to eat something like this so I think tomorrow I will take them all to work and put them in the lounge where the animals I work with will scarf them down, probably without knowing the difference.  I thought I would at least put a picture up here and tell you where I got the recipe and how I changed it to fit what I had.

While at my Mom's place I looked at Chowstalker and found a couple of entries for chocolate chip cookies.  I wrote down the recipes (since she doesn't have a printer) and then forgot to take them with me when I left. (*head smack)  I remembered the almond flour cookbook (by Elana Amsterdam) that my Mom got me so I found the cookie recipe in there and pretty much used it.  It called for grapeseed oil which I didn't have so I used the light olive oil (it's pretty tasteless, very light golden in color).  It also used agave nectar but I used the coconut sugar crystals that Mom got me a few months ago.  Since I was using a little less liquid (with the obmission of agave) I decided to put an egg in there.  So here's a pic followed by the recipe.  All in all they were pretty tasty.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2c. almond flour
1/2t. salt
1/2t. baking soda
1/2c. coconut sugar
1/2c. light olive oil
1T. vanilla
1 egg
1/2c. Enjoy Life chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients.
3. In a small bowl combine wet ingredients and mix.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
5. Add the chips and stir some more to combine.
6. Scoop onto a cookie sheet, leave about two inches between cookie.  Press down lightly on the cookie to flatten (because it doesn't really spread that much while bake).
7. Bake for 10 minutes, remove and allow to cool on the cookie sheet before you remove.