Sunday, June 5, 2011

Zucchini and Sundried Tomato Tart

A few weeks ago I bought some sun dried tomatoes to add to my pantry and since then I've been thinking of using them.  I had my eye on a stuffed chicken breast recipe that Civilized Caveman posted but I always did something different with my chicken breasts.  Then while taking inventory in the fridge and planning some weekend meals I decided what to do with them.  In the fridge were a couple of zucchini and my sister told me I could do something with them.  I knew right then that I wanted to make a tart.  I've never made one before but the zucchini just seemed like the perfect match for my sun dried tomatoes.  So I then started mulling over a crust recipe and started scoping out online for something that would work.  I was going to use my almond meal but just needed a little guidance to have it come together.  I found a couple of savory almond meal crust that both linked back to Elana's Pantry and to a cookbook called The Gluten-Free Almond Meal Cookbook.  It sounded familiar and after checking out my bookshelf I discovered I had this book (thanks Mom)!  So I prepared the rosemary crust recipe and it was simply delicious.  It smelled so good while it was baking and the flavors were extraordinary.  This is a great tart and the filling can be easily change to accommodate whatever veggies you have on hand.



Zucchini and Sun dried Tomato Tart

1-2 medium sized zucchini, cut into rounds about 1/4 inch thick
1 large shallot, diced
1/2 C sun dried tomatoes, diced
2 T. olive oil
3 to 4 eggs
1 pre bake rosemary tart shell (recipe follows)
  1. Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the zucchini rounds.  Saute over medium high heat until the zucchini start to brown.  Remove from skillet and place on paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
  2. Add the shallot and tomatoes to the skillet and cook until the onion starts to get soft.  Remove the mixture from the skillet into a bowl and set aside.
  3. Lay the zucchini on your tart crust in an even layer.  Top with the tomato-shallot mixture.
  4. Whisk the eggs in bowl and then gently pour over the veggies in the tart shell.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until the eggs are cooked.  (note: You may want to lay some aluminum foil over the edge of the tart crust so that it doesn't get to dark.)
Rosemary Tart Crust

1 1/2 C blanched almond flour
1/2 t. salt
1 T. minced fresh rosemary
1/4 C. grape seed oil
1 T. water
  1. In a bowl combine the almond flour, salt and rosemary.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the oil and water and whisk together.
  3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
  4. Press the dough into a 9 inch tart pan.  (My pan was larger so I increased my recipe including the filling.)
  5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Remove and let it completely cool before you add your filling.
*Note:  My tart pan in about an 11 inch pan which I didn't realize when I started so I sort of winged it with increasing this recipe.  The next time I will get my measurements down before starting but I think increasing the crust recipe by half should do the trick.  I did use 4 eggs for mine but if you are using a 9 inch pan then 3 should work just fine.